We are keen your exit goes smoothly to allow your deposit to be returned as soon as possible. You may find the following notes helpful and to minimise the risk of misunderstandings or last minute problems.
YOUR TENANCY AGREEMENT
In accordance with the terms of your tenancy agreement, you have two main obligations to consider when ending the tenancy:
1. The property and contents should be handed back in the same condition as they were at the beginning of the tenancy, but allowing for normal wear and tear.
2. The rent must be up to date and all bills settled.
This will be when you are literally ready to close the door and hand back the keys. During checkout we will check the condition of the property and contents against the inventory and record meter readings. Any damages, areas requiring attention or cleaning will be photographed. This takes approximately 1 hour (dependent on size) to complete and an exit report will then be prepared and sent to you and your landlord.
Outstanding cleaning work and additional visits to the property are chargeable and will be deducted from your security deposit.
INVENTORY/SCHEDULE OF CONDITION
Start your preparations early by running through your copy of the inventory to remind yourself about the contents and condition at the start of the tenancy. Check for damaged or missing items. As part of the tenancy agreement you agreed not to glue, stick or otherwise fix anything to the interior or exterior of the property. Damage of stains as a result of any fixings will need to be rectified prior to check out.
NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR
Normal wear and tear does not include damage, nor excessive wear and tear.
PREPARING THE PROPERTY
•soft furnishing especially carpets and curtains should be left clean, paying special attention to any marks if applicable
• all kitchen equipment and appliances should be cleaned and free from food or stain
• defrost the fridge and freezer
• remove all food from the cupboards
• hard surfaces should be washed down and cleaned, including the kitchen floor
• bathrooms should be thoroughly cleaned paying particular attention to any stains or marks
• no rubbish should be left, except in the wheelie bin
• all sets of keys must be handed over
• internal keys for cupboards, windows etc should be left in their locks
Your rent must be paid up to and including the date your tenancy ends. Please note: It is not permissible for you to cancel your last month’s rent payment because we hold a security deposit. The deposit is legally a separate issue from rent payment and you will be in breach of your contractual agreement if you do this.
You should contact the appropriate offices for telephone and council tax and arrange for final bills. For gas and electricity it is generally easier to inform them of the final meter reading after the checkout.
Please make arrangement with Royal Mail.